Only 3 Conservative MP’s need to vote against the #MAYDUP coalition. We’re crowdfunding a campaign to target 17 LGBT Conservative MPs and call on them to not support a formal coalition.
LGBT activists in the UK must stand up to the Conservatives. Not only is this deal a risk to LGBT rights in the UK but it risks peace in Northern Ireland.
There cannot be any justification for forming a coalition with an extremist political party who achieved less than than 300,000 votes – a coalition that would go against the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland, and would spark more even more political tension in the region.
LGBT people should not be represented by MPs who give platitudes to protect LGBT rights ‘in the rest of the UK’ but allow the DUP to gain undue power over the UK government and in Northern Ireland. We are calling on every LGBT Conservative MP to oppose the Queen’s Speech and Budget.
Theresa May and her party are deluded to think that this rag-tag coalition can provide ‘continuity’ to the citizens of the UK. To sacrifice the Good Friday Agreement for a slim majority of 3 seats in Parliament will only result in chaos and upheaval.
Why are the DUP a threat?
The DUP are a far right, anti-abortion, anti-gay Christian fundamentalist political party in Northern Ireland who hold ten seats in Westminster. Due to the Conservatives only winning 318 seats at the General Election, the DUP now effectively hold the keys to Number 10.
Theresa May can only become Prime Minister and form government if she gets her Queen’s Speech and Budget accepted in a vote Parliament. As you need a majority of 326 votes to pass the Queen’s Speech the only way the Conservatives can get into power is by relying on the 10 DUP votes.
It is clear that the Conservatives have not yet come to an agreement with the DUP, and nobody truly knows what their demands will be. We have already heard from a senior Conservative MP suggesting that abortion time limits could be reduced to appease the DUP.
This means that they clearly have too much power over the Conservatives and can ‘blackmail’ the government to pass regressive laws in order for them to support key bills in the house.
Contact the following LGBT Conservative MPs and call on them not to support this coalition:
- Anne Marie Morris – Newton Abbot @AnneMarieMorris
- Damien Moore – Southport @Moore4Southport
- Lee Rowley – North East Derbyshire @Lee4Ned
- Ross Thompson – Aberdeen South @RossThomsonMSP
- Stuart Andrew – Pudsey, Horsfoth & Aireborough @StuartAndrew
- Crispin Blunt – Reigate @CrispinBlunt
- Nick Boles – Grantham, Stamford, Bourne @NickBoles
- Conor Burns – Bornemouth West, Alderney & Branksome East @ConorBurnsUK
- Alan Duncan – Rutland and Melton @AlanDuncanMP
- Nigel Evans – Ribble Valley @NigelMP
- Nick Gibb – Bognor Regis & Littlehampton @NickGibbUK
- Justine Greening – Putney, Roehampton and Southfields @JustineGreening
- Nick Herbert – Arundel & South Downs @nickherbertmp
- Margot James – Stourbridge @margot4stour
- David Mundell – Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweedale @DavidMundellDCT
- Iain Stewart – Keynes South @iainstewart
- William Wragg – Hazel Grove @William_Wragg
Become An Evolve Politics Subscriber
Your subscriptions go directly into paying our writers a standard fee for every article they produce. So if you want to help us stay truly independent, please think about subscribing. We literally couldn’t function without the support of our fantastic readers.Subscribe
Or a One-Off Donation to Evolve Politics
If you don’t want to subscribe, but still want to contribute to our project, you can make a one-off donation via the donate button below. All your donations go directly to our writers for their work in exposing injustice, inequality and unfairness.Donate